Within a few miles of entering Haralson County, you will notice we offer a whole lot more that what it appears from I-20.
The town of Wolf Pen became Kramer, named after a German immigrant and local vineyard owner, and was incorporated on September 5, 1883. The name was changed to Bremen at Kramer’s request to honor the seaport city of Bremen, Germany. Bremen is located just off of Interstate-20 and is home to several unique and convenient places to shop, eat and lodge. Other areas of interest include recreation and sporting facilities. http://bremenga.gov/
Mill Town Music Hall is the Atlanta area’s newest concert and entertainment venue – located conveniently off I-20 in Bremen, Georgia. The venue is home to quality wholesome entertainment covering multiple genres, as well as events geared for young families. The facility can comfortably seat up to 1,000 people and boasts a state-of-the-art audio-visual system. The venue hosts numerous Southern Gospel, Contemporary Christian, Bluegrass and Country concerts, along with other family-friendly events. In addition, the facility can be rented for corporate events and private receptions. http://www.milltownmusichall.com/
Heritage House Events Center In 1930 Ms. Pearl Sullivan began construction on 211 Gordon Street in Downtown Bremen. The home was not completed until 1938 due to hard economic times. Ms. Sullivan operated a small dairy out of the house and the original milk house still stands on the property today. Ms. Sullivan married George Hamilton and they raised their family in the home. Mrs. Hamilton was an active member of the Bremen Garden Club and lived in the home until the 1960’s when she passed away.
After Mrs. Hamilton’s death, two more owners occupied the building before the Museum Board purchase. The previous owner restored the homes hardwood floors, converted all the original brass light fixtures from gas to electric and refurbished the grounds of the home. The rock work on the two fireplaces located downstairs is original and the Hamilton family crest can be seen over the fireplace in the room to the left of the front entrance
The Heritage House is the perfect setting for weddings, parties, corporate events, and photography shoots. The beautiful grounds and architectural details of the house serve as the perfect background for your event, whether it is a children’s tea party or an office holiday party. http://bremenga.gov/
More info: call Ann McCain 770-537-2331
Sewell Mill Community and Event Center was established in September 2009 to serve as the first multipurpose community and professional center for the residents of Haralson County. The Mill is a catalyst and support system for business acceleration while also providing an enjoyable atmosphere for social gatherings, community functions, and artisan endeavors. Built in 1918, this historical building gives honor and remembrance to our region’s glorious past as “The Clothing Center of The South”. To honor the Textile history of Haralson County, a museum of the Textile Industry in Bremen has been created inside Sewell Mill. Eventually a Textile Trail will be created extending the history to include locations from Dalton, GA. to West Point, GA with all the small communities in between. To visit the Textile Museum, contact Kersha at 678-378-8601 or email: email@example.com.
The City of Buchanan serves as the county seat of Haralson County. With its shops and restaurants encircling the National Register Listed, 1892 restored courthouse, Buchanan is the perfect place to spend a day or a lifetime. The county seat was selected and named Pierceville in honor of a former U.S. president but was renamed Buchanan after President James Buchanan when it was found that another Georgia town already held the name Pierceville. http://www.buchananga.com/
Historic Haralson County Courthouse The Courthouse, built in 1892, is currently part of the National Registry of Historic Buildings and serves as a public library with meeting facilities and an office for the county’s Historical Society on the Buchanan square. Hours are Monday through Thursday, 11 am to 6 pm, Saturdays 10 am to 2 pm., or by appointment. Admission is always free. www.hchistory.com 770-646-3369
Little Creek One-Room Schoolhouse The last remaining “one-room” school house in Haralson County. It has been relocated to Buchanan and is currently being restored. The Little Creek one room school house was built around 1870 in the Little Creek Community of Haralson County, GA. It was one of 23 one room –one teacher schools in existence in 1871. It is the only remaining one room school house in Haralson County and one of a few in the state of Georgia. There were 1016 people in one room schools in the county in 1871. Little Creek ceased to be used as a school in 1932. The school house was donated to the Haralson County Historical Society in 2006 and relocated to Van Wert Street. Self guided tour is available. 770-646-3369
Sanford-Wade Heritage House Formerly the home of the late Evelyn Shepard Sanford Wade (1907-2004), the Sanford-Wade Heritage House was constructed in 1909. The house will serve as a museum in the future and private tours are available at no cost to the public.
VFW Post 7402 Park and Campgrounds, 5760 GA Hwy 120, (404) 938-3523 (park phone) – visit us on Facebook
Visitors take advantage of a beautiful lake, campgrounds, a playground, picnic areas and event pavilions. The park is open daily from 7 am to dark. The following fees apply: Parking $5 Boat Trailer/ $6 Car/Truck Tent campsite is $10.00; RV campsite is $15.00.
The City of Tallapoosa is a small town with history, scenery and charm. The city’s timeless setting is home to museums, shops and historic addresses of interest and lore. In the early part of the 1830’s the old Indian council village of Charles Town became a mining settlement known as “Possum Snout”, named by the gold miners who panned the waters of the Tallapoosa for the precious metal. Possum Snout, Haralson County’s oldest town, was a booming mining town renowned for its gold mines. By 1832, the town had its first post office established, and in December of 1860 the settlement of Possum Snout incorporated, changing the name of the town to “Tallapoosa”, a Creek Indian word for Golden River. For more information, please visit: http://www.tallapoosaga.gov/
Helton Howland Park , Hwy. 78 E., (770) 574-2345, http://www.tallapoosaga.gov/
Fish at the park’s lake, with nearby tennis courts, picnic areas and pavilions. Historic military vehicles and equipment is also on display, daily from 6 am to 9 pm.
Tally Mountain Golf Course, 593 Golf Course Road , (770) 574-3122, http://www.tallapoosaga.gov/
Open year-round, Tally Mountain features rolling hills with crowned Bermuda fairways. An 18-hole, championship golf course features a beautiful lake and clubhouse, driving range, putting green and snack bar. A pool is open during summer months to customers.
Georgia Visitor Information Center-Tallapoosa , Interstate I-20 E at the Georgia-Alabama Line. (770) 574-2621, http://www.exploregeorgia.org – Open daily 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Restrooms open 7 am to 11 pm
Amelia’s: The Johnson Family Homeplace, 139 Connecticut Ave, (770) 574-7193
The Homeplace serves as a living classroom for Heritage Education classes and field trips. Students experience their heritage through story-telling, hands-on projects, music and food preparation , as well as exposure to regional art and crafts. Appointments are required.
Bud Jones Taxidermy Museum, 359 GA Hwy 120E, (770) 574-7480, http://www.bjonestaxidermy.com
The museum includes exotic animal mounts and an extensive fossil collection that is open to the public Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday’s from 9 am to Noon. Admission is free.
Haralson County Veterans Memorial and Medal of Honor Park, Hwy. 100 at Robertson Ave. , (770) 574-2482
The Memorial honors citizens of Haralson County who gave their lives in military service to the United States. Be sure to see the Magnificent Wall of Tears that commemorates women in the military, Medal of Honor Fountain and League-Lowe Memorial. A dedication to the fallen on 9/11/2001 was added in a dedication on 9/11/2011. This includes a replica of the Twin Towers and a piece of mangled iron from New York Twin Towers. Open Daily. Free to the public. An audio tour was added in the summer of 2013.
West Georgia Museum of Tallapoosa, 185 Mann Street, (770) 574-3125 This museum focuses on local history and paleontology, which is the study of prehistoric life, including organisms’ evolution and interactions with each other and their environments The Museum is open to visitors Tuesday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm, and on Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm. Adult admission is $2 and Children are $1. West Georgia Museum
Budapest Cemetery is located east of Tallapoosa, GA on Budapest Cemetery Rd. off Hwy 78. The cemetery, containing about 20 graves, has a large arch gateway entrance and a split rail fence along the roadway. It appears that no burials have taken place here since 1956.
A local Boy Scout chose this cemetery as his Eagle Scout project in 2008 and the old cemetery was beautifully restored. The entrance was erected in honor of the Hungarian people that came to the area to help start the Grape Vineyards.
In 1888, three winemaking communities were founded here on some 2000 acres. A local land developer, Ralph L. Spencer, invited some 200 Hungarian wine-making families to settle this region. Homes, streets, shops, a school, a Catholic church, a cemetery and other municipal facilities were built. The wine industry flourished in this climate. In 1908 the passage of the Prohibition Act in Georgia spelled their doom. The residents were forced back to the Pennsylvania mines. The rectory still stands on a hill, a fine tribute to the master masons who erected it. The pioneer Hungarians who became a part of the Georgia soil lie in the little fenced cemetery over the hill, many graves still marked with names which sound foreign to these parts.
The cemetery is being maintained by the Haralson County Historical Society, members of the Haralson County Chamber of Commerce and members of the Atlanta Hungarian Group. https://www.facebook.com/BudapestGeorgia?fref=ts 770-646-3369
West Georgia Mud Park is located on Highway 78. Approx. 3 miles directly off I-20 west from Waco, about 5 miles from Bremen exit and 8 miles from the Tallapoosa exit. 4000 West Hwy 78, Tallapoosa, GA 30176. Events will be alternate weekends between trucks and ATVs. We will not have them both there together.
They have huge mud pits as well as two side by side 200ft drag pits and year round water with an irrigation system. Admission is $15, kids 10 and under free! Facebook at West Georgia Mud Park, or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also go to “Mud Boggin’ at West Georgia Mud Park”, and Like us! http://www.westgamudpark.com
Call us at 678-378-0471 4000 W. Hwy 78 Tallapoosa, GA
The City of Waco was once named Dean and was a center for the shipment of cotton and lumber and boasted a population of 150. Water power from Turkey Creek operated the mills which included cotton gins, wool corders, grist and saw mills. The town name was changed to “Wacosville” in 1883 and changed again to “Waco” when it was chartered in 1885. Waco is full of small town charm and home to the Thomas B. Murphy campus of West Georgia Technical College. http://www.wacoga.net
Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park, 106 King St., Waco,GA 30182 770.537.3140 http://www.georgiajellystone.com
RV and tent camping, swimming pool, train rides, putt-putt golf and of course Yogi Bear. Birthday package rates available